Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) causes pain in the jaw joints and can lead to several uncomfortable symptoms. Patients dealing with this condition can rest assured that there are several ways to effectively manage it and experience relief.
Check out this short blog post to learn the signs of TMJ and how to manage it.
Common Symptoms of TMJ
Some signs you might be dealing with TMJ include:
- Pain in one or both jaw joints
- Sharp pain in the ear or around it
- Jaw pain
- Pain while eating
- Jaw locking, which makes it almost impossible to open or close the mouth,
- Clicking sound when the jaw is moved
TMJ can also create additional symptoms such as headaches or ringing in the ears, leading to even more discomfort for patients.
How Is TMJ Diagnosed?
If you notice any of the above symptoms, it’s important to see a specialist to learn if you have TMJ. Luckily, you can even do that at the dentist’s office through a thorough examination that could include:
- A visual exam of the jaw’s movement
- Dental X-ray
- Pressing on the jaw muscles to determine the level of tenderness, etc.
Once you learn whether you indeed have TMJ or not, a dentist can also help you access the right treatment.
How Is TMJ Treated?
There are several ways to effectively manage TMJ and, in some cases, even cure it. Mild cases can often go away altogether with a few minor adjustments.
Here are some ways you can effectively manage TMJ pain and discomfort:
- Resting: Some cases of TMJ can be reversed by placing too much pressure on the teeth and jaw muscles. This is usually the case for patients who tend to chew on hard objects like pens. Kicking this habit and being more mindful when eating (such as taking smaller bites) may help you give the jaw a break and reduce your symptoms, as well as other side effects like migraines.
- Custom mouthguards: A custom mouthguard can help keep your jaw in an optimal position and relieve tension in your jaw muscles, which can greatly reduce your pain. Though you will have to wear it while sleeping, a custom mouthguard is perfectly comfortable since it’s made for your exact measurements. It can also help patients who develop TMJ as a result of nightly tooth grinding.
- Surgery: Severe cases of TMJ may require jaw surgery to treat and reposition the jaw joint or remove scar tissue that could be causing your symptoms.
Get a Custom Mouthguard at Flo Dentistry
If you're dealing with TMJ symptoms, come meet with Dr. Omar Amin for a short consultation to be fitted for a custom mouthguard and finally start experiencing relief. Our team at Flo Dentistry specializes in providing personalized solutions for TMJ-related discomfort, ensuring your comfort and well-being. Request an appointment at Flo Dentistry online and stop by to discover your options. For more information or to schedule your consultation, call us at (713) 893-5526 for a short chat. We're here to answer your questions and assist you in your journey to a pain-free smile.